March 25, 2014
(703) 684-6777 Ext. 103
AHS Announces 2014 Vertical Flight Foundation Scholarship Recipients
$45,000 in Scholarships To Be Presented at the 70th Annual Forum
ALEXANDRIA, VA – AHS International – The Vertical Flight Technical Society is pleased to announce its 2014 Vertical Flight Foundation (VFF) scholarship recipients.
The VFF was established in 1967 as the philanthropic arm of the society. Since 1977, the merit-based scholarship program has been a great success story, with more than 400 scholarships awarded to date. Many recipients are now leaders in the vertical flight technical community. 100% of every tax-deductible contribution to VFF goes directly to student scholarships. AHS covers all overhead costs of administration and accounting, and contributes a portion of its revenue to supplementing individual contributions.
AHS is pleased to award $45,000 in VFF scholarships this year to the world’s most talented and deserving engineering students. A total of 19 scholarships were awarded this year. The following are this year’s awardees, who will be recognized at the Grand Awards Banquet at the 70th Annual AHS Annual Forum and Technology Display at the Palais des congrès de Montréal on Wednesday, May 21, 2014 in Montréal, Québec.
- Miguel Alvarez, The Pennsylvania State University – Don Armstrong Scholarship
- Jordan Lalonde, Universite de Sherbrooke – Don Toler Scholarship
- Brandon Liberi, Georgia Institute of Technology – Charles Crawford Scholarship
- Andrew Mills, University of Maryland College Park – Hal Andrews Scholarship
- Tyler Molnar, The Pennsylvania State University – John R. Olson Scholarship
- Edward T. Rocco, The Pennsylvania State University – Frank N. Piasecki Scholarship
- Craig J. Schmidt, Jr., Northeastern University – Richard M. Carlson Scholarship
- Christopher Cameron, The University of Texas at Austin – Bill Parker Scholarship
- Guillermo Costa, The Pennsylvania State University – Alfred L. Wolf Scholarship
- Chin Gian Hooi, University of Maryland College Park – Alfred Gessow Scholarship
- Matthew J. Krott, The Pennsylvania State University – Joseph P. Cribbins Scholarship
- Ashley Pete, Stanford University – John McLaughlin Scholarship
- Sorin Pirau, Georgia Institute of Technology – Florence Winslow DeLaRue Scholarship
- Joachim Hodara, Georgia Institute of Technology – Richard Gabel Scholarship
- Frank H. Patterson, Georgia Institute of Technology – John Zuk Scholarship
- Puneet Singh, University of Michigan Ann Arbor – Joe Mallen Scholarship
- William Staruk, University of Maryland College Park – Elaine Gessow Scholarship
- Adam Thorsen, The Pennsylvania State University – Hans and Gil Weichsel Scholarship
- Bernardo A.O. Vieira, The Pennsylvania State University – Barry Baskett Scholarship
For more information on the Vertical Flight Foundation or to donate to this important cause, please visit www.vtol.org/vff. A list of all past winners can also be found.
Founded in 1943 as the American Helicopter Society, AHS International today is the world's premier vertical flight technical society. The Society is the global resource for information on vertical flight technology. It provides global leadership for scientific, technical, educational and legislative initiatives that advance the state-of-the-art of vertical flight.
A PDF of this press release is also available here Vertical Flight Foundation Scholarship 2014 Recipients.