AHS International Announces Forum 70 Special Presentations and Award Winners
Alexandria, Virginia, April 16, 2014 – AHS International – The Vertical Flight Technical Society – today announced the line-up of special speakers for its 70th Annual Forum & Technology Display at the Palais des congrès de Montréal, Québec, Canada, May 20-22, 2014. The AHS Annual Forum is the world’s oldest and largest conference on vertical flight technology.
- Daniele Romiti, CEO – AgustaWestland
- Jean-Brice Dumont, CTO – Airbus Helicopters
- John Garrison, CEO – Bell Helicopter Textron
- David Koopersmith, VP/GM Vertical Lift – Boeing Military Aircraft
- Mark Miller, VP Engineering – Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation
The Opening General Session will then be concluded with the 34th Annual Alexander A. Nikolsky Honorary Lecture, “Unified Approach for Accurate and Efficient Modeling of Composite Rotor Blade Dynamics,” given by Prof. Dewey Hodges of the Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Brig. Gen. Robert Marion, Program Executive Officer (PEO) for Aviation
- Col. Jeffrey Hager, PM-Apache Attack
- Col. Rob Barrie, PM-Cargo
- Col. Thomas Todd, PM-Utility
- Col. Tim Baxter, PM-Unmanned Air Systems (UAS)
- Col. Jim Brashear, PM-Non-Standard Rotary Wing
- Mr. Rod Bellows, Dep. PM-Aviation Systems
- Mr. Dan Bailey, PD-Future Vertical Lift (FVL)
- Rear Adm. Cindy “CJ” Jaynes, Navy PEO for Air ASW, Assault & Special Mission Programs
- Col. Robert Pridgen, Program Manager, PMA-261, H-53 Heavy Lift Helicopters
- Mr. Larry Pugh, Principal Deputy Program Manager, PMA-274, Presidential Helicopters
- Col. Daniel B. Robinson, Program Manager, PMA-275, V-22 Joint Program
- Col. Steven R. Girard, Program Manager, PMA-276, USMC Light and Attack Helicopters
- Capt. Jim Glass, Program Manager, PMA-299, H-60 Multi-Mission Helicopters
- Walter Di Bartolomeo – VP Engineering, Pratt & Whitney Canada
- Gilles Labbé – President & CEO, Héroux Devtek
- Greg Yeldon – President, CMC Esterline Electronics
- Barry Kohler – Chair, Aerospace Industries Association of Canada and President, Bell Helicopter Canada
- Fred Jones – President & CEO, Helicopter Association of Canada
- Jerzy Komorowski – Director General, NRC Institute for Aerospace Research
- TBD – Transport Canada
- The Ian Cheeseman Award, given to the best paper at the 2013 European Rotorcraft Forum, “Adverse Rotorcraft-Pilot Couplings – Modelling and Prediction of Rigid Body RPC,” by Marilena Pavel and Deniz Yilmaz, Delft University of Technology; Binh Dang Vu, ONERA; Michael Jump, Linghai Lu and Michael Jones, University of Liverpool, will be presented at 8:00 am on Thursday, May 22.
- The Graduate Winners of the 2013 Student Design Competition, the team from the University of Maryland, will present their concept for a high speed vertical flight rescue aircraft dubbed “HeliX” at 8:30 am on Thursday, May 22.
- The Undergraduate Winners of the 2013 Student Design Competition, the team from The Pennsylvania State University, will brief their concept, the “Griffin” at 9:00 am on Thursday, May 22.
- Igor I. Sikorsky Human Powered Helicopter Competition winners Dr. Todd Reichert, and Cameron Robertson, of AeroVelo Inc. will present their paper, “Design and Development of the Atlas HPH,” at 10:15 a.m. on Thursday, May 22.
- 2014 Robert L. Lichten Award Runner-Up Eric Villeneuve of the Université du Québec à Chicoutimi will present his paper, “Piezoelectric De-Icing Systems for Rotorcraft” at 1:30 pm on Thursday, May 22. The Lichten Award Competition is held annually among the 10 AHS International Regions and awarded to first-time presenters.
- 2014 Robert L. Lichten Award Winner Raymond Beale of Sikorsky Aircraft will present his paper, “Applications of Virtual Monitoring of Loads to Engineering Decision Making,” at 2:30 pm on Thursday, May 22.
In addition, the prestigious AHS International Awards Program will recognize the extraordinary achievements and contributions of the very best of the technical and operating communities at the 70th Annual Grand Awards Banquet at 7:00 pm on Wednesday evening, May 21. More than two dozen awards will be presented.
- Individual Sponsor Contest: The member who sponsors the greatest number of new members during the contest year wins free registration for the individual and a guest at the AHS Annual Forum. This year’s winner is Mick Maurer, President of Sikorsky Aircraft, who sponsored 21 new members over the past year.
- Chapter Member Increase Contest: This awarded is given to the AHS Chapter with the greatest net growth at the end of the contest period. The Southwest Chapter, based in Ft. Worth, Texas, won with 150 new members.
- Chapter Percent Increase Contest: First place is awarded to the AHS Chapter with the greatest percent increase at the end of the contest period. The East New England, based in Lynn, Massachusetts, won with a 65% member increase.
- Every-Member-Get-A-Member Contest: First place is presented to the Chapter whose members sponsor the most new members during the contest period. The Chapter receives one credit for each Chapter member who sponsors a new member. The Philadelphia Chapter is the winner, with 18 of its members sponsoring new members.
These membership contests are an important way that AHS International members reach out to attract new members. AHS membership has increased by nearly 6% over the past year.
International – The Vertical Flight
Technical Society – has 6,500 members in more than 40 countries and is the
world’s leading technical society dedicated to the advancement of vertical
flight technology and its applications. More information about the AHS
International 70th Annual Forum & Technology Display is available at www.vtol.org/forum.
A PDF of this press release is also available here AHS Forum 70 Speakers press release.
AHS International – The
Vertical Flight Technical Society
217 N. Washington St., Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
phone: 1-703-684-6777; toll free: 1-855-AHS-INTL; fax: 1-703-739-9279
email: firstname.lastname@example.org; web site: www.vtol.org