AHS International - AIAA
Vertical Flight Concepts Joint Workshop on
Enabling New Flight Concepts through Novel Propulsion and Energy Architectures
Tuesday, August 26th (8 am) to Wednesday, August 27th (noon)
CENTRA Technology, Inc.
4121 Wilson Blvd, Suite 200
Arlington, VA 22203
Advance Registration: $50.00 (includes Wednesday lunch)
Note: space is limited, so no onsite registration is planned
Go to the AHS Portal to register and click on the event link
Objective: Embrace emerging technologies and approaches, such as electric/hybrid power and distributed propulsion, that offer the potential to fundamentally transform vertical flight configuration designs and operational concepts. As these new configuration types cannot be modeled adequately by conventional analytical tools modeling, and do not inherently fit into the existing rotorcraft certification framework (Part 27), they require new conceptual design tools and regulations able to capture the fundamental differences in approach. This workshop will bring together interested parties to establish a foundation from which investment can fill the gaps to achieve successful new aviation products.
Workshop Approach: Combine the mutual interests of technical organizations, government laboratories (NASA, DARPA) and industry to collaboratively explore and exploit the potential for new opportunities for vertical flight. The workshop is focused on achieving participation from all stakeholders, including new and small companies aggressively focused on this topic, as well as mature aerospace companies for whom this could enhance or augment their conventional vertical flight products.
- Establish and document common needs, areas of collaboration, and advocacy to establish methods to encourage the future success of unconventional vertical flight concept solutions that are newly enabled by technologies.
- Assemble a community to collaborate on new conceptual design and analysis tools that permit new configuration paths with far greater multi-disciplinary coupling (i.e. aero-propulsive-control) to be investigated.
- Establish a community to develop and deploy regulatory guidelines with potential formation of an ASTM F44 Committee Subgroup for the development of consensus-based certification standards for General Aviation scale vertical flight systems that provides fixed wing approaches that don’t fit within existing FAA Part 27 certification.
- Launch an information campaign to ensure key U.S. Govt agencies to understand the benefit potential and industry interest in establishing new vertical flight capabilities.
- What's the Value Proposition of these new Technologies to Vertical Flight? (Panel Discussion)
- Detailed Electric VTOL Concept Briefing 1
- Detailed Electric VTOL Concept Briefing 2
- Emerging Electric Technologies/Concepts Perspectives (Panel Discussion)
- Electric VTOL Prize Challenge
Lunch (Provided with Registration Fee)
- Energy Technologies - Electric Energy Storage (Panel Discussion)
- Electric Technologies - Hybrid/Electric Motors/Controllers/APUs (Panel Discussion)
- Highly Integrated Electric Propulsion VSTOL Concepts (Panel Discussion)
Dinner (Arranged No Host – not included in registration fee)
- Highly Coupled Integrated Electric VTOL Design Tools, Analysis, and Testing Capabilities (Panel Discussion)
- Certification Approach for Future Electric VTOL Concepts (Panel Discussion)
- Wrap Up - Where Do We Go From Here? (Panel Discussion)
Aug 27th Afternoon (Optional; by prior reservation only)
NSWC Carderock Tour (Limited to 40, US Citizens Only)
This workshop is presented by:
With support from the following committees:
AHS Advanced Vertical Flight Technical Committee
AIAA V/STOL Aircraft Systems Technical Committee
AIAA Transformational Flight Program Committee
SAE Power Systems, Propulsion, Electric Powertrain and Energy Storage Committees
ASTM F44 Committee on General Aviation Aircraft
Public Transportation: CENTRA’s Arlington facility is located two blocks from the Metro Ballston-MU (Orange Line) and close to several bus stops. One bus stop is directly located in front of the Conference Center. (Travel details)
Parking: A parking garage is located underneath the Arlington facility. Street parking is also available as well as a parking garage located in the Ballston Common Mall across the street from the facility. (Google Map)
Lodging: CENTRA is located close to several lodging facilities that are in walking distance. (Hotels)