Transformative Vertical Flight Concepts:
Third Annual Joint Workshop on Enabling New Flight Concepts
Through Novel Propulsion and Energy Architectures
September 29-30, 2016 | Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Registration for the SAE ASTC/IPLC/TVF is now open:
Just $50 to attend the workshop only!
Find out more about the joint Transformative Vertical Flight (TVF) initiative and past events
Objective: Engage industry, academia, and government agencies in developing a preliminary road map that will aid in the advocacy and pursuit of emerging technologies and approaches, such as electric/hybrid power and distributed propulsion, that offer the potential to fundamentally transform Vertiport-capable flight configuration designs and operational concepts. As these new configuration types cannot be modeled adequately by conventional analytical tools modeling, and do not inherently fit into the existing rotorcraft certification framework (Part 27), they require new conceptual design tools and regulations able to capture the fundamental differences in approach. This workshop will bring together interested parties to establish a foundation from which investment can fill the gaps to achieve successful new aviation products.
Workshop Approach: Combine the mutual interests of technical organizations, government laboratories (NASA, DARPA) and industry to collaboratively explore and exploit the potential for new opportunities for Vertiport-capable flight. The workshop is focused on achieving participation from all stakeholders, including new and small companies aggressively focused on this topic, as well as mature aerospace companies for whom this could enhance or augment their conventional Vertiport-capable flight products.
1. Establish and document common stakeholder needs, areas of collaboration, and advocacy to establish methods to encourage the future success of unconventional Vertiport-capable flight concept solutions that are newly enabled by technologies.
2. Assemble a community to collaborate on new conceptual design and analysis tools that permit new configuration paths with far greater multi-disciplinary coupling (i.e. aero- propulsive-control) to be investigated.
3. Establish a community to develop and deploy regulatory guidelines with potential formation of an ASTM F44 Committee Subgroup for the development of consensus-based certification standards for General Aviation scale Vertiport-capable flight systems that provides fixed wing approaches that don't fit within existing FAA Part 27 certification.
4. Launch an information campaign to ensure key U.S. Government agencies understand the potential benefit and industry interest in establishing new Vertiport-capable flight markets.
Mike Duffy, Boeing
Tom Gunnarson, Zee.Aero
Jim Sherman, SAE International
1:00 pm – 1:45 pm Kickoff Talk – Joby Aviation — invited
1:45 pm – 3:15 pm NASA ODM Roadmap Outbrief
- Electric Propulsion (Mark Moore/NASA)
- Autonomy (Ken Goodrich/NASA)
3:15 pm – 3:30 pm Break
3:30 pm – 5:15 pm NASA ODM Roadmap Outbrief
- Airspace (Ken Goodrich/NASA)
- Manufacturing Integrated Structures Community Acceptance (Michael Patterson)
5:15 pm – 5:30 pm Day 1 Wrap Up (Mike Duffy)
8:30 am – 8:45 am GAMA EPIC brief — invited
8:45 am – 9:00 am SAE Electric Activities brief — invited
9:00 am – 9:30 am Aurora Flight Sciences — invited
9:30 am – 9:45 am Break
9:45 am – 10:30 am TVFW roadmaps outbrief (Mike Dudley)
10:30 am – 11:30 am Roadmap breakout sessions (Mike Duffy)
- Missions/Operational Concepts (Moderator - Moore)
- Prioritized Technical Challenges (Moderator - German, Goodrich)
11:30 am – 12:30 pm Lunch (DARPA — invited)
12:30 pm – 1:30 pm Roadmap breakout sessions (Mike Duffy)
- Regulatory Roadmap (Moderator - Gunnarson)
- Market/Business Opportunities (Moderator – Ouellette)
1:30 pm – 2:45 pm Breakout session panel, working group formation (Mike Dudley)
2:45 pm – 3:00 pm Day 2 Wrap Up – Mike Duffy
This workshop is presented by:
SAE International (SAE)
American Helicopter Society International (AHS)
American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
With support from the following committees:
AHS Advanced Vertical Flight Technical Committee
AIAA V/STOL Aircraft Systems Technical Committee
AIAA Transformational Flight Program Committee
SAE Power Systems, Propulsion, Electric Powertrain and Energy Storage Committees
ASTM F44 Committee on General Aviation Aircraft
Updated April 26, 2016