The AHS Philadelphia Chapter, in partnership with the Franklin Institute, the American Helicopter Museum and Education Center (AHM&EC), and the Philadelphia chapters of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) and the Army Aviation Association of America (AAAA), presents:
The 75th Anniversary of the
First Rotating Wing Aircraft Meeting
The Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
October 27, 2013
The First Rotating Wing Aircraft Meeting was held by the Philadelphia Chapter of the Institute of Aeronautical Sciences (IAS, the forerunner of AIAA) at the Franklin Institute on October 27-29, 1938. It was the first international meeting on rotary-wing aircraft and marked a turning point from autogyros to helicopters. It was from this event that the American helicopter industry was born. AHS was founded less than five years later.
This special event will be held where it all started! Top speakers from the U.S. Congress, DARPA, the FAA, and industry headline this exciting look at the past, present and future of vertical flight, capped by a banquet fundraiser dinner for the American Helicopter Museum & Education Center.
Registration for the technical sessions is $100 for members/$125 non-members; full event including banquet is $175 for members/$200 non-members. Donations also accepted.
Sunday October 27, 2013 1:00 PM – 10:00 PM
1:00PM-2:00PM “An Historic Gathering” Dr. Bruce Charnov
2:00PM-5:30PM Technical Session: The Future of Vertical Flight Mr. Dan Newman
- Rep Frank LoBiondo - U.S. Congress
- Mr. Larry Kelly - FAA, Regulations and Policy, Rotorcraft
- Mr. Lou Bartolotta - AgustaWestland
- Mr. Edward DiCampli - Helicopter Association International
- Dr. Ashish Bagai - DARPA
- Mr. Michael Hirschberg - AHS International
- Mr. Chris VanBuiten - Sikorsky Innovations
- Mr. Dick Spivey - Bell Helicopter (retired)
- Dr. James Wang - AgustaWestland
- Mr. John Walker - The Padina Group
- LTG Barclay (Invited) - U.S. Army
- Mr. Jim McCans - Pennstar EMS
5:30PM-6:00PM AHS Vertical Flight Heritage Site Ceremony in Aviation Hall
6:00PM-7:30PM Cocktail Reception & Silent Auction
- American Helicopter Museum & Education Center Achievement Award
- Keynote: Christopher Clemens, Chief Pilot, Philadelphia Police
- Concluding Remarks: Mr. John Piasecki, President & CEO, Piasecki Aircraft
9:30PM-10:00 Auction Claim
- A summary of the event was published in the Franklin Institute's "The Institute News" in 1938:
- A summary of the event was written by Raoul Hafner and published by Flight magazine, January 5, 1939.
- The Proceedings of the First Annual Rotating Wing Aircraft Meeting [13 MB pdf] are also available for free download thanks to the kind permission of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Greater Philadelphia Section. All rights reserved.
- "A Critical Re-Examination of the Franklin Institute Rotating Wing Aircraft Meeting of October 28 - 29, 1938: Facts and Myths Surrounding the Foundations of Autogiro/Convertiplane/Helicopter Development in America and Europe," presented at the AHS Forum 62, 2006.
- "The 1938 Franklin Institute Meeting: Evolution and Revolution in Rotary Wing Aircraft," Vertiflite, Summer 2007.