The AHS International annual Student Design Competition challenges students to design a vertical lift aircraft that meets specified requirements, provides a practical exercise for engineering students at colleges and universities around the world and promotes student interest in vertical flight technology. Each of the winning teams is awarded a cash stipend, while each of the first-place winning teams are invited to AHS International’s Annual Forum and Technology Display to present the details of their designs. Members of the teams receive complimentary registration to the Forum, the vertical flight industry’s principal professional technical event, which promotes vertical flight technology advancement.
The AHS Student Design Competition sponsorship rotates between AgustaWestland, Airbus Helicopters, The Boeing Company, Bell Helicopter Textron and Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. Through this partnership, AHS International is able to reach the best and brightest students in the world and encourage them to pursue education and careers in vertical flight. AHS is grateful for the continual support that industry provides for its annual Student Design Competition, and proud of all students who elect to participate. Information is available on past winners.
NEW! AHS International is pleased to present the
33rd Annual Student Design Competition
"Air Launched Unmanned Disaster Relief Delivery Vehicle"
Sponsored by Bell Helicopter
Download the 2015-2016 Request for Proposal - Released July 27, 2015!
- Invitation to Participate -- The competition is open to all academic institutions around the world. Due date is May 29, 2016
- Student Design Competition White Paper on Judging -- How judges assess the proposals
- AHS Student Design Steering Committee -- Current membership of the steering committee
32nd Annual Student Design Competition
"Distributed Logistics in an Urban Setting Using Small Unmanned Aerial Vehicles"
Sponsored by The Boeing Company
- 2014-2015 Request for Proposals - Released August 25, 2014
- Winners to be announced on or about August 20, 2015
31st Annual Student Design Competition
Sponsored by AgustaWestland
- Georgia Institute of Technology and St. Louis University Take Top Honors in the 31st Annual AHS International Student Design Competition. AHS Press Release, August 11, 2014
- Executive Summary of the winning entries is available for this and other past winners.
- 31st Annual Student Design Competition RFP 2013-2014 - Released August 2013
30th Annual Student Design Competition
Sponsored by Eurocopter (now Airbus Helicopters)
- The University of Maryland and Pennsylvania State University Take Top Honors in the 30th Annual AHS International Student Design Competition, AHS Press Release, August 20, 2013
- More information and graphics of the winners, plus executive summaries of the winning entries is available for this and other past winners.
- 2013-2014 Request for Proposal for "The HealCopter"
29th Annual Student Design Competition
"Rotary Wing Pylon Racer"
Sponsored by Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation
- The University of Maryland and Georgia Institute of Technology/University of Liverpool Take Top Honors in the 29th Annual AHS/Industry Student Design Competition, AHS Press Release, August 7, 2012
- Check out the winning design proposals!
- 2012-2013 Request for Proposal (RFP) For "Rotary Winged Pylon Racer"
Read more about all 30+ years of competitions and past winners!
Update July 27, 2015